Assalamualaikum.
Before I was 12, before I found my first Malay novel, I only bought English novels, because my parents always give to me those kind of books. Probably one of the reasons why my BM is not so good.
But I don't blame them. No, not at all. In fact, I am grateful. I've been exposed to English since I was little. I've been reading English books, listening to English songs, watching English programmes on TV and also - I speak English to my kindergarten teachers and friends, as most of them are Chinese.
I finally entered primary school. I met new friends and they started to call me 'Nani' [before this I was called 'Hani'] and as years passed, I spoke less and less English. I can still write English, but speaking English nowadays would be so awkward.
However,
I still love to hear English songs.
I would still talk to myself in English.
I would still watch English programmes on TV.
Why?
Because it reminds me of my childhood.
Sometimes I just wish to go back in time. I want to meet myself as a child. Sometimes I feel like the little me is better than me in the present day.
But no.
You can't go back in the past.
All you can do is move on.
And I am grateful,
for the past that I had,
for all the lessons that I learnt,
for every single person that I met,
for those who still stay beside me whenever I need them,
and also for those who betrayed or left me when I needed them the most.
Everyone made an impact in my life. Big or small, it doesn't matter, because without them, I'd be a completely different person.
Sometimes I just have to look back for a moment, to remind me of who I was and who I am now.
Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
I am who I am now, because of you.
I cannot thank you enough.
No comments:
Post a Comment