Assalamualaikum.
This situation happened today around 11.40am at a local clinic.
A boy was sitting next to me in the clinic beside his mother. By his height, I assumed he must be around four or five years of age. He had a magazine with him. I'm not sure whether it was his or the clinic's, but I didn't see any magazines so it must be his. He chose to read an English article and read the sentences word by word, with a voice loud enough for the patients around him to hear.
I couldn't catch what he was reading, but the fact that he tried so hard to read every single word is so adorable. When he realised that I was listening to him the whole time, he stopped reading. Feeling ashamed, he passed the magazine to his mother, asking her to read a certain paragraph. The mother looked at me and we exchanged smiles. She did what she was told, and read the paragraph for him. She even explained to him the meaning of certain words and told him the right way to pronounce them.
Nothing big actually happened, but I don't know why I can't help but to feel happy due to the facts that
1) the boy's effort to read in English
2) the attention given to the boy to improve his pronunciation
3) the explanation of the words coming from the mother
4) the mother was not ashamed to read the paragraph for his son
I'm glad these kind of parents still exist, that they realised their children have to master in English besides our mother tongue by giving them books to read at an early age. I hope the boy will grow up to be one fine successful man, and may Allah bless his parents. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment