Monday, 10 November 2014

Improving English - Again

Assalamualaikum!

Studying at INTEC for these four months made me realise that my English is not good enough. Before this, during primary and secondary school, I've to say that English is one of my favourite subjects because I know I'm good at it. But at INTEC, I'm surrounded by hundreds of students who mostly got straight As during their SPM, and that of course means that their 1119 are most probably A+.

I've to admit that I was in shock when I received the result of my first writing test. I thought I wrote well, I thought I did good enough but obviously not. I was actually hoping for my lecturer to call out my name when she announced Top Three Essays.

But of course, that didn't happen. Otherwise I wouldn't have been writing this right now.

It's always [not every single time but often] been like that in primary and secondary school, so when this happened, I was in shock, yes.

Padan muka.

So I did my very best for the next writing test, re-read my essay multiple times and make sure my grammar has less mistakes, as I know grammar is probably my strength, since my vocabulary is pfftttt. Just look at the sentences I've been writing at this blog. Even a kindergarten kid can understand what I'm writing.

So anyway, the result of the following writing test was even worse then the first one. Yup.


And during final exam the other day, both writing and reading are combined into two hours, so one hour is for writing and the other hour is for reading, and I only did my essay in half an hour. I kept looking at everyone else once I've done my essay, and oh my god, I felt like I'm the stupidest [sorry for saying stupid! But that was what I really felt] person in the whole bloody hall because everyone's essays are like, three to four pages, five tops. Some even asked for additional papers. Sitting in the hall, I was like, 'WHAT IN THE WORLD ARE YOU GUYS WRITING?!?!?!?!'


So yeah. That definitely opened my eyes about English. I've been taking this too easy. So for these two months semester break, I really, really, really want to improve my English. I have to start from now because if I don't, then it might be too late because I'll be having my IELTS in Semester 3 and this is only writing I'm talking about, for God's sake!


The most cliche answer or reply we get when we asked someone on how to improve English is read, read and read. I've read English books ever since I was little but I never have the urge to look the meaning of unfamiliar words in the dictionary. I'd usually just assume the meanings by referring to the sentences.


And I think finally I've figured out why I got low marks for my essays: BECAUSE I DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO WRITE AND HOW TO ELABORATE.


Yeah, I know. I've to read more. When it comes to matters like this, I remember Reader's Digest and thought that that magazine could definitely help me in this. So I bought it, just for the sake of IELTS. It's a bit expensive than I thought but it's okay. Nak improve English punya pasal kan.


And I have three James Patterson novels, waiting for me to read them but since I'm forcing myself to look in the dictionary or google the words, then it'd take a reallyyyyyyyyy long time for me to finally finish reading them all. It's been a week of my semester break and I'm still at the Readers' Comments and Opinions section [yes, I'm planning to literally read the whole magazine] and I've also written all the words in a notebook.


Oh, and I found these websites which I know they can help you and me to improve our own English, as English is, after all, the world's first language.


British English Coach

Paraphrasing
Tongue Twisters - to help you with your speaking!
Phonemic Chart - help on how to say words correctly
Dialogues - read dialogues out loud could also help you
Sample Essays - I know all of us definitely need this one!

And lastly, 33 ways to speak better English without taking classes. I got all the above links from this one, anyway, so feel free to read them one by one. Youtube videos could definitely help too!


I've also written a post about this once.


Oh, and don't forget to follow @The_YUNiversity at Twitter! They could really help us with grammar. I mean, come on, let's face it - my grammar is not ALL perfect.

I'm afraid that's about it! Sorry about the long post. Couldn't help it as English is really one of my biggest concerns right now.


With our own efforts, help from friends and lecturers and duas, I'm sure every single one of us can achieve excellent bands in both MUET and IELTS.


We'll help each other, okay? *grins*

4 comments:

  1. Don't worry sweetheart. Your English language is just great. Seriously! Anyway, checkout on the YouTube the British accent. Shaz and I are crazy about it. Lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha. I will though, insha Allah. Thanks very much, Dayah! :)

      Delete
  2. Hye Dear ! Thank you so much for all the links. Really need it as my English is not as great as yours. Hidayah was right. We are totally crazy about that Youtube Video :D Your English is totally awesome babe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Shaz. Thanks so much for reading! Haha. Let's improve our English together, insha Allah. :)

      Delete